Monday, May 10, 2010

Beets give you to the punch!!!!

Beets really are the unsung hero of a the veggie world. Rich in vitamins through both the bulb & the greens, so many uses come besides that pickled beet grandma use to force onto most sunny Sunday suppers. Think small & fresh with the tops. Unless you're blessed with a farmers market Whole Foods really has the best selection including unique varieties. I never go for canned, goodbye to all the flavor. Steaming good but roasted in tin foil slowly..wholly moly!!! Baby beets are like candy, after all sugar came from beets for years in North America.
Summer borscht..yummy cold with creme fraiche. If you want a variation throw a bit of orange zest curls. I found a yummy beetroot slaw ages ago. Red cabbage, red pepers & beets, olive oil, orange Trader Joes Orange Muscat Champagne vinegar, maldon salt, pepper. Cool crisp its fabulously compliments a steak but frankly on a hot dog or even a sandwich its perfection. You will love it!!! Kasha Beet Salad via Judith Finlayson is yummy but I actually prefer the bite of sherry vinegar to red wine. I've also made it with wild rice mix. Still killer.
Wolfgang Puck had these Napoleons for an Oscar party & I stole the concept creating my own recipe with a chevre cream, micro greens & a balsamic glaze to drizzle. Once I candied pecans with a whisper of orange zest, chopped & threw in with the greens. Hello unbelievable!!! The beet tops are just as fab for your body. I actually love this Salad from Kashi. Spicy, sweet, & very creative.
Promise me you won't ignore beets. Those canned misfits are the pits so quit the can & grab a handful of fresh!!! Your tastebuds will be tickled beet juice pink!!!Photos courtesy of Rosemary Creasy, Saveur, People, Kashi

8 comments:

Kateyed said...

Oh my gosh, this is all so beautiful and making me so hungry. I love beets but unfortunately can't have them because they give me kidney stones...yikes! There is a wonderful recipe called Russian Beets in the old Time?/Life International Cookbook series. We eat it like it is candy...they I have to drink a gallon of water!!!

Suz (and Kat...thus Katsui!)
http://katsuijewelry.blogspot.com
(come and visit us sometime...we are really not all about our jewelry!!!)

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

I do promise I won't ignore them.....I love beets and roast a tray full each week. Want to try that Wolfgang recipe, sounds and looks delicious. XO

Marilyn *Pink Martinis and Pearls* said...

I love beets but I have never cooked them. I have been looking for a great pickled beet recipe forever. Never found one. :) xoxo

Katie said...

I know you and your beets! But you've yet to convince me they are edible!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vær våken said...

I sure would like to taste that salad with the pecans! It looks sooo good!

Kristin xx

sophiedahydesigns said...

Anyone who doesn't like beets should try roasting them. They are heavenly!!

Rose said...

I love beets, perhaps that will be great for my new Vegan Diet.............Thanks

Hugs, Rose