Friday, June 18, 2010

Time marches on.

Back in Michigan today, my beloved Godson Grant graduated from elementary school. It still seems like just yesterday it was the first day of first grade. Thanks to his Mom I have a photo of that day soo long ago & its still an all time fave of mine. However....
Where does it go & how does it go by so fast??
I remember cutting up oranges to give him a visual for fractions while we did homework. I remember doing the Martin Luther King Day word search with him so the weekend could start. I also remember the issues; his goofiness needing to be tamed, his sometimes lack of focus & knowing how unbelievably smart this boy was & hoping it would all come out for his teachers to see. This is the boy who asked me when he was 5 how his tongue tasted food & wanted specifics so we bought a human body book to learn. I can still hear his little boy voice begging to read about the digestive system instead of a Transformers book one bedtime. Heck he corrected my mom when she pointed out a purple Victorian house..." Liz, that's mauve." This is one incredible little guy.
But he's not soo little anymore. He's 11 & a half, going into middle school & finally found his essence when it comes to school. Focused & succeeding all I could think about today, while I wished I was there was how fleeting time really is. Treasure the moments. I do.
We chat still weekly & always he ends with "love yous" because I'm proud to say he knows how important that is most of all. That's how I know my favorite little boy is now my favorite little man.
Have a wonderful weekend.

5 comments:

Christine--RHP said...

Precious! What a lucky young man to have you in his world.

debra@dustjacket said...

Oh that was really sweet, what a cutie!

re comment you crack me up Alicia....I think white A line skirt will have to be found pronto ;o

Vær våken said...

How I understand you! My boy is also that age (in the last image) and he's growing way too fast now! But they sure are wonderful!

Kristin xo

Kellie Collis said...

How lucky you are! Have a lovely weekend! x

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

He is so cute, beautiful eyes. I have never been around a little boy, ever! I look so forward to tate growing up and getting to see what that will be like.
You are going to love your new floors, it is so much work and your house will be a mess, but so worth it. Don't let me miss the big reveal!